porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Much of this is simply notes I have gathered throughout the last few months pertaining to players the Packers might be interested. I will try to get close to the round that I suspect Green Bay will look at them in. I'll also tell you how the pick fits into Green Bay's current structure or system.

Mock Draft Explanations 

NFL First-Round Mock Draft
1. Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Washington Redskins (From St. Louis) - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3. Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil, OLT, USC (I'm not taking the bait)
4. Cleveland Browns - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
6. St. Louis Rams - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
8. Miami Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9. Carolina Panthers - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
10. Buffalo Bills - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
11. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
12. Seattle Seahawks - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
13. San Diego Chargers (From Arizona) - Mark Barron, S, Alabama
14. Dallas Cowboys - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
15. Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
16. N.Y. Jets - Melvin Ingram, DL/OLB, South Carolina
17. Cincinnati Bengals (From Oakland) - Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama
18. Arizona Cardinals (From San Diego) - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
19. Chicago Bears - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
20. Tennessee Titans - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
21. Cincinnati Bengals - Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
22. Cleveland Browns (From Atlanta) - Riley Reiff, ORT, Iowa
23. Detroit Lions - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
24. Pittsburgh Steelers - Dont’a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
25. Denver Broncos - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
26. Houston Texans - Jonathan Martin, ORT, Stanford
27. Indianapolis Colts (From New England) - Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
28. Green Bay Packers - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
29. Baltimore Ravens - Peter Konz, C/G, Wisconsin
30. San Francisco 49ers - Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
31. New England Patriots (From New Orleans) - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
32. N.Y. Giants - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State

I projected two trades. San Diego and Arizona make a deal, so the Chargers can jump up and secure Barron. The Cards move back for an offensive lineman.

The other trade is New England moving out of the first round. This happens every year. I don’t know who will jump up. It could be a RB needy team looking at Doug Martin. It could be the Colts. I mocked them because I wanted to get the closest to the actual 32 players going into round one as possible.

Green Bay’s Potential Targets
This is something I’ve done every year. I mark down 10-20 players I believe the Packers will target over the course of the first three or four rounds. I don’t know if some of you remember or not, but I’ve had names such as Jordy Nelson, Patrick Lee, and Greg Jennings on this list. I also had several that probably weren’t on the Packers’ radar. [palm]

Round 1

Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse -- His current athleticism and playing weight (265) makes him an ideal 3-4 outside backer. He has incredible arm length. He’s still growing into his body. I would note many said something similar about DeMarcus Ware. I can see him adding 15-20 pounds. That puts him at 280-290, which makes him an end. In other words, he plays a variety of positions. That’s why he’s a first-round pick.

Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois -- Mercilus is coming off an All-American caliber season. He led FBS with 16 sacks, so he’s a pass rusher. Creates havoc. I worry about his repertoire. His effort matches his athleticism. One-year wonder.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama -- I believe it would take a trade to get Upshaw, but there is talk that’s he’s falling because nobody knows what to do with him. He’s a strong side OLB, in my opinion. Very clean player. He’s a leader, hard worker, and hustles on every play. He shows a good first step and he’s no finesse player. He reminds me of Brian Orakpo, but not as athletically gifted.

Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State -- I don’t know why people don’t talk about his athleticism. He’s a great athlete. He consistently finishes plays, which is just another way of saying high motor. I worry about his run defense. He over pursues. He’s still an ideal 3-4 outside backer.

Andre Branch, OLB, Clemson -- Branch is an explosive long-armed pass rusher. He’s an ideal 3-4 OLB. He could be a 10-plus sack season type of player. His run defense is shoddy, so he may only be a third-down player early in his career. Think San Francisco’s Aldon Smith. Personally, he’s one of the best pure pass rushers in the draft. He’s very gifted. He’ll require patience, though. He's a round one or two pick.

Other prospects

Ben Jones, C/G, Georgia
A four-year starter. He‘s durable. I don’t think he missed a game. Not 100% positive on that, though. Overall, while he’s not a power player, he’s an NFL-ready prospect best suited to play in a zone concept.

Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska
He’s a 3-4 end. That’s about it. His energetic motor will remind some of J.J. Watt, but Watt’s a superior athlete. He’s just a serviceable player, but every team needs them.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
His backpedal is very smooth and he has natural hands for a defensive back. He could give many receivers trouble with his long arms in press coverage. He’s a project, but the Packers develop their DBs pretty quick.

Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
Terrific burst. In college, he showed a knack for making big plays. He was always around the ball. Good motor. Good character. Packer People?

Jamell Fleming, CB/S, Oklahoma
He‘s always around the ball. He doesn’t allow a lot of separation between himself and the receiver. He does a good job of reading and reacting to the play. A potential starter at safety.

Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
A four-year starter. Brooks is a big, powerful, and can anchor in the run game. His experience at tackle could lead many to viewing him as an ORT. He lacks ideal athleticism and doesn’t play as nasty as you’d like. Nonetheless, he could push T.J. Lang on day one.

Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor
Blake is a raw prospect. He’ll need developing. He has a strong base and shows the ability to run block well. He needs to learn how to finish. I think learning from Jeff Saturday would help him.

Jeff Allen, OG, Illinois
Meat and potatoes type of player. That’s just another way saying he played in the Big Ten. He’s a sturdy pass protector and shows the ability to get to the next level. However, his hand placement needs work. He’s not wowing you in the running game. Still, he’d also push Lang.

Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
A small school prospect. Norman had some buzz at Senior Bowl and East-West shrine game. He’s tall, lanky, and he has good technique. I’m not sure about his straight-line speed.

Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State
At 5-8, Baker is on the short side, but he’s a compact, one-cut and go runner. He runs hard, though he does lack breakaway speed. He’d thrive in a zone concept, where he can rely on his instincts. I like him more than most, so he could be available on Saturday.

Chris Polk, RB, Washington
Not a home run a threat. He’s a natural receiver out of the backfield and he displays terrific vision as a runner. He’s a terrible blocker. He’s more of a two-down player that can spell the starter. He’d be James Starks’ No. 2 and an occasional short yardage player.

Nick Foles, QB, Arizona
Foles looks the part. He has prototype size and has one of the strongest arms in the draft. He struggles to throw on the run and his accuracy is a work in progress. The upside is there to be a starter, but he should be further along by now.

Thanks for reading. 🤔
zombieslayer
12 years ago
In your notes for McClellin and Branch, I wouldn't mind having a 3rd down player as long as they can get sacks or at least get enough pressure to take some of the double teams off of CM3 so CM3 can get sacks. CM3 getting double digit sacks + one guy in the high single digits makes an entirely different D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dhazer
12 years ago
Porky, you really think the Patriots will drop down? They have 2 1sts and 2 2nds why would they drop down. Billacheat is a master at screwing teams and can get the draft picks.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Porky, you really think the Patriots will drop down? They have 2 1sts and 2 2nds why would they drop down. Billacheat is a master at screwing teams and can get the draft picks.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

I think he'll attempt to trade one of his firsts or a high second for another first next year. For example, he makes a deal with the Colts, so he gets the top pick of round two. Teams will covet that selection because they'll have an entire night to reset their board and make phone calls on possible trades. If Kendall Wright is available, perhaps somebody offers the Pats their first next year for that top pick. The 49ers make sense, maybe even the Ravens. This has been Belichick's philosophy over the course of the last three drafts. He always starts with two ones, but he never ends with two ones.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
thanks for the post. you do a lot of homework.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
If a player they get is a situational player that's only good at rushing the passer I can live with that. I believe we would have a better chance of stopping a run on 3rd and 7,8,9,10 or more yards then what our D achieved last year in those situations with no pass rush. We need to get off the field on 3rd downs.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
12 years ago

If a player they get is a situational player that's only good at rushing the passer I can live with that. I believe we would have a better chance of stopping a run on 3rd and 7,8,9,10 or more yards then what our D achieved last year in those situations with no pass rush. We need to get off the field on 3rd downs.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

This is what I think. I just want to get our D off the field.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Right now they say I’m ranked and can go as high as the middle of the first round, but I don’t feed into that at all. I’m still expecting third round, so if I do go higher everything will be a surprise.

Chandler Jones wrote:

UserPostedImage
play2win
12 years ago
Thanks Porky. I think that's awesome.

i don't care who they pick, as long as they put GB's opposing QBs on their backs, force turnovers, and tackle.
dhazer
12 years ago
We trade our 2 4ths to the Giants for OSI he now wants out and also the Colts are shopping Freeney
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (7h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.